Friday, February 25, 2022

Doing The Impossible - Matthew 19:26


 
But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. - Matthew 19:26

    I have struggled over the years with my inability to show my Christian love to all mankind. I have been angry, outraged, and insulted by the very people Jesus commanded me to love. But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you...- Matthew 5:44. After giving the issue much thought, it became clear to me that I have not been giving it my Christian effort.
    Certainly, it is easy for us to go around spouting off Scripture references to applicable situations, but how often do we actually walk the walk? It’s not ignorance on our part when we don’t seem all that Christian. And we must remember that often, we are creating an image for those around us who never pick up a Bible or attend a church service. Does our reaction to things that irk us illustrate how Christians are supposed to behave toward our fellow men and women? I’m afraid that in my case the answer has far too often been ‘No!’
     I tried to understand why it was so. I truly wanted to project a good Christian image to those around me, but failed to meet that godly standard. Why didn’t I have that kind of strength? I reminded myself of Paul’s frustration and exasperation : “For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. - Romans 7:15. How could I accomplish this will of God for my life?
    Then, the very words that I had so often quoted to my family and loved ones came floating back to me. They were words I had used to encourage them in times of similar disappointments with varying issues and challenges they had faced:I can do all things through him who strengthens me.- Philippians 4:13. I realized I could never love my enemies in my own power. I wasn’t strong enough in myself, but I could be through Christ Jesus!
    Obviously, there will be times when maintaining a godly attitude around troublesome people is going to be next to impossible. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. - Romans 12:18. Paul knew that there would be times of difficulty with people who didn’t have our best interest at heart. But even then, his words were not to pick a fight or walk away in anger.To the contrary, ‘if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. - Romans 12:20-21.
    Our calling in Philippians 4:13 is a strategic response that our tactical response can illustrate, and that should be: “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.- 1 Corinthians 10:31. We cannot glorify God with hatred, anger, antagonism, impatience, or resentment, because none of those attributes exemplify love. As Scripturally responsive Christians, we should know by now what love is :Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. This is the love that Jesus is talking about when He tells us to “Love (y)our enemies and pray for those who persecute you (us). Can we do so on our own power? I wouldn’t even suggest trying. Go to Christ and plead with Him for the strength that only God can provide.
    “Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” - 2 Corinthians 12:8-9.
    No matter what we must do or accomplish, we must grasp the fact that God’s will alone determines how our efforts turn out. Sometimes even the simplest plans go awry; sometimes the impossible happens, all to the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment