Saturday, February 16, 2019

Faith Stronger Than Fear - Psalm 11:3

If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do? - Psalm 11:3

    Indeed. We are at once assaulted by the possibility “If” the foundations be destroyed, what can we do? When the truth and the basic moral fabric of our society fall to those who would seek our harm, what are we able to do? When the very foundations are perverted, inverted, and subverted, where can a righteous man or woman turn to seek remedy? At first look, we are confronted with the implausible, the impossible, the improbable, yet there it is, staring us in the face. What are we to do? David knew what to do.
    “The Lord is in His holy temple, the Lord’s throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men. The Lord tests the righteous, but the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates. Upon the wicked He will rain coals; fire and brimstone and a burning wind shall be the portion of their cup. For the Lord is righteous, He loves righteousness; His countenance beholds the upright.” - Psalm 11:4-7. David looked to heaven where he beheld God in His glory testing the righteous and punishing the wicked. David held tight to the one true thing of his faith - trust in the Lord. Despite the calamity surrounding him at every turn, David knew the righteousness of God would triumph. In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed; deliver me in Your righteousness.” - Psalm 31:1.
    This is where our trust must be today - in the Lord. Despite what is happening around us, we must never lose hope in the righteousness of God. He will always prevail! For us to lose hope and faith in the righteousness of God is sinful and will not go unpunished. Our faith must be stronger than our fear! “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.” - Psalm 23:4.
    Our heavenly Father has not left us in a state of perpetual fear. He has not abandoned us even in these last days. We are forever protected by His promises and because we have received His promise we can believe Him. “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” - Isaiah 41:10.
    In this godless day and age, we are prone to see and hear the very worst the world has to say both about us and our sovereign God. If the world mocks us it is because they mocked God first. If the world insults us it is because they insulted God first. And let us never forget the words of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ - “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. - John15:18.
    God’s truth is what provides us with our strength. It is His truth and His truth alone that inspires our faith. It is the same strength that inspired Joshua to drive the Israelites across the mighty Jordan and conquer the Canaanite tribes in the Promised land. “No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you.” - Joshua 1:5. God’s word is the truth and feeds the faith that is stronger than fear! Even when the foundations are destroyed, the Lord is sovereign upon His throne in heaven. And this alone is enough for the faithful in Jesus Christ!
    We must constantly remind ourselves that God has not given us up to confusion or fear. He has, in fact, done just the opposite - “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” - 2 Timothy 1:7
    As we walk with God in our present lives we walk with the greatest power in the universe. What have we to fear? What could possibly shake our faith? “In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? - Psalm 56:11. Where we have placed our trust is where we place our faith. And if we place faith front and center then what do we have to fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment