Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Everybody Must Get Stoned -Acts 7: 57



Then they cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and ran at him with one accord; - Acts 7:57

Stephen had just delivered a sermon so powerful that it cost him his life! He spoke openly about God’s covenant with His saints. He spoke without hesitation. He spoke without pretension. He spoke without anonymity. Those he had been speaking to knew exactly who Stephen was. When his audience had heard enough they did three things; they cried out in a loud voice, they stopped their ears, and they ran at him with one accord. That singular minded accord was to murder Stephen to keep him from further sharing the Gospel! And why not? They had already murdered the Son of Man for the same crime!
                           
They cried out in a loud voice-
“Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue with that; I’m right and I will be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first, rock and roll or Christianity.” — John Lennon

“When I got untethered from the comfort of religion, it wasn’t a loss of faith for me, it was a discovery of self,” explained Pitt. “I had faith that I’m capable enough to handle any situation. There’s peace in understanding that I have only one life, here and now, and I’m responsible.” - Brad Pitt

I don't believe in Heaven and Hell," he says. "I don't know if I believe in God. All I know is that as an individual, I won't allow this life -- the only thing I know to exist -- to be wasted. - George Cloony

It's an incredible con job when you think about it, to believe something now in exchange for something after death. Even corporations with their reward systems don't try to make it posthumous. Gloria Steinem

"I`m an atheist... I regard religion with fear and suspicion. It`s not enough to say that I don`t believe in God. I actually regard the system as distressing: I am offended by some of the things said in the Bible and the Qur`an, and I refute them." — Emma Thompson

"I’ve often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction." - Ian McKellen

"I don't believe in the afterlife. I believe this is it, and I believe it's the best way to live."- Natalie Portman

This handful of opinions about Christianity comes directly from celebrity folks who are known as being in the “A List.” These are the celebrities who everyone else tries to emulate in some fashion or other. There are people who live for every word that proceeds from their mouths. I mentioned this situation because we face the same paradigm today. These celebrities ARE the high priests of today.

Stopped their ears- In a very general sense this is the modern day response to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They don’t like it so they don’t listen! “But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’” - Luke 16:31.  I would appear that the myriad of worldly positions made by unbelievers have taken on that nihilistic tone. There are so many opinions out there that you need a crowbar and a pitchfork just to separate them. The only difference is Christianity. On that subject they all agree: they hate it; they don’t want to hear about it!

And ran at him with one accord . . .
    Persecution begins slowly like a well lit camp fire and burns and burns until it reaches it apex of might. Today I can say that we are merely feeling the sparks from the tinder. There are simply far too many examples of Christian Persecution taking place in America for me to recount them to you. If you’re a Bible-believing Christian you have probably already felt the sting of persecution at the hands of your employers or the school-board or the military establishment. Now, using the tentacled arms of anti-Christian groups like the ACLU, Freedom from Religion Foundation, GLSEN, Human Rights Campaign (they sound so “righteous” don’t they?), Americans United for Separation of Church and State, to name but a few, they attack private individuals who fail to comply with their sinful agendas. Charges are filed, judges become involved, and for the average Christian American there is no one to defend them. That is what persecution looks like NOW! There have been beatings. There have been Kristallnacht moments and the law turns its head. But we were told to expect this very thing. “‘If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.  If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.’” - John 15:18-19. Praise God the words are Christ Jesus’ alone!
We may not be suffering like those Christians in Muslim lands yet, but persecution develops by a matter of degrees. It is a slowly burning wick that will not go out. We may not hear the lions but they lie quietly, and attentively, in the grasses around us. And they are hungry.
    Fervent prayer for both ourselves and our persecutors is the strongest spiritual weapon that we have. May we enjoin with the Holy Spirit to use them often and effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment